Tuesday, February 26, 2013

STRIPER-ITIS

Hey Guys,
   So it's February 26th and the snow is melting slowly... March usually gives us a snow storm or two but hopefully not much accumulation... Im ready for the warm weather to start to creep in and warm our waters!

I lay in bed at night thinking about the warmer days when our striped friends venture back up to Cape Cod and Southeastern Mass! I think about what lures I will use and what I think will work! Is my gear ready for another hard fished fishing season? I dreamed of hooking up with a surprising 600 lb tuna in the canal which is nearly impossible but C'mon it was a dream! To top off the dream the tuna had a yellow ribbon on it with a big reward for being caught...  haha

Yellow Fin Tuna

I was reading a friends blog and he had talked about "winter stripers" and his 5 year quest to get a cape cod striper in the off season when they are "suppose to all be gone". He talked about trying every lure, every method and not a single bite! In his 5th winter season he ended up catching a boat load of 12"-20" stripers! Now just like the beginning of the striper season you welcome a 20 inch striper on the end of your line! As you all might not know in Mass the stripers have to be 28 inches to keep but after a long cold winter you'll take anything!

google image
With all that said! I want to get my new 2013 license and try to start my 5 year hunt for my own winter striper. We have till mid-April till we can really expect to catch something worthy of a picture. I might venture down to the cape cod canal in the next week and probably get more confusing looks from passing people than normal.. haha cant hurt to try out my new poppers and see how my line casts with new braid on it... Chances are slim to none that ill be able to get a striper but the feeling about being at the  "ditch" canal making cast after cast hoping for that monster from the sea! 

It's a bone chilling 36 degrees or for my international viewers 2 celsius at the canal so its not ideal fishing weather for the fisherman or for the fish.


google image



I have many things to do before its time to load up the gear and start the annual quest for a monster striper or what I like to call " striped hippos". I've been dressing treble hooks with buck tails and feathers. Once I master the process ill put up a post with step by step instructions so if any of you want to dress up old hooks or add to new fishing plugs.


Till next time guys! I hope to have a Do It Yourself post so you can get ready for the up coming fishing season


Dave




No comments:

Post a Comment